Is the systematic method of analyzing financial instruments, including securities, futures and interest rate products, with only market-delivered information such as price, volume, volatility and open interest. The tools of technical analysis are measurements and derivatives of price, for example, on-balance volume, price oscillators, momentum measurements and pattern recognition. A Technical Analyst applies such tools for forecasting and timing the trading and investing in financial instruments. Technical Analysis is a universal discipline.
When it comes to developing technical analysis and charting skills, the Certified Technical Analysts® (CeTA) Designation is where it's at. For financial professionals who are considering this option, obtaining this certification shows potential employers that you have a comprehensive knowledge of technical analysis and could put you ahead of the pack in pursuit of that coveted Wall Street job. If you think a CeTA certification might help you chart your career course and get it trending in the desired direction, read on to find out what the program entails and what you'll need to do to succeed.
Globally, the Technical Analysis industry is represented by the International Federation of Technical Analysts, USA (IFTA) and The Association of Technical Analysts (ATA) being an affiliated society of IFTA represents this industry in India.
As part of the ATA's objective of promoting greater use and understanding of technical analysis education, ATA's Education Committee have launched the professional course in Technical Analysis for both beginner and experienced analysts.
The main aim of the ATA's Certification is to certify that the candidate acquires the professional knowledge, understanding, and skills to pursue a career as a Technical Analyst in the Financial Services industry.
CERTIFIED TECHNICAL ANALYST (CeTA) CERTIFICATION
The CeTA Certification consists of Two Exam which together constitutes a complete professional program. Passing both exam examinations culminates in an award of a world class professional qualification in Technical Analysis.
The exams are intended to test not only your technical skills knowledge but your understanding of the ethics and the market.
The Certification is designed for self-study and divided into two exams.
- Pattern: This multiple-choice exam consists of 120 questions covering a wide range of technical knowledge, but usually not involving actual experience.
- Duration of Exam: 2 hours only
- Marks: 120
- Pattern: This exam incorporates a number of questions requiring an essay based analysis and answers. For this, the candidate should demonstrate a depth of knowledge and experience in applying various methods of technical analysis.
- Duration of Exam: 3 hours only
- Marks: 120
CeTA Level - I Rs. 20,000
CeTA Level - II Rs. 20,000
Certified Financial Technician (CFTe)
The IFTA Certified Financial Technician (CFTe) consists of CFTe I and II, which together constitute a complete professional program.
The two examinations culminate in the award of this internationally recognized professional qualification in Technical Analysis.
The exams test not only technical skills, but also ethics and international market knowledge.
CFTe I: This multiple-choice exam covers a wide range of technical knowledge and understanding of the principals of Technical Analysis, usually not involving actual experience.
CFTe II: This exam incorporates a number of questions requiring an essay based analysis and answers. For this, the candidate should demonstrate a depth of knowledge and experience in applying various methods of technical analysis. The exam provides a number of current charts covering one specific market (often an equity), to be analyzed as though for a Fund Manager.
Cost of the exams is:
IFTA Member Colleagues
CFTe I $550 US
CFTe II $850* US
CFTe I $850 US
CFTe II $1,150* US
*Additional Fees (CFTe II only):
$100 US applies for non-IFTA proctored exam locations
Master of Financial Technical Analysis (MFTA)
IFTA’s Master of Financial Technical Analysis (MFTA) requires an original body of research. It is intended to be a rigorous demonstration of professionalism in the global arena of technical analysis.
It is anticipated that most candidates for MFTA will have some academic background, and this should convey the high standard against which these papers will be judged.
In order to complete this level and receive your MFTA diploma, you must write a research paper of no less than three thousand and no more than five thousand words. Charts, figures and tables may be presented in addition.
Your paper must meet the following criteria:
- It must be original;
- It must develop a reasoned and logical argument and lead to a sound conclusion supported by the tests, studies and analysis contained in the paper;
- The subject matter should be of practical application, and
- It should add to the body of knowledge in the discipline of international technical analysis.
Cost of the exam is:
IFTA Member Colleagues
What's a CeTA?
The CeTA® Program is administered by the The Association of Technical Analysts (ATA, India). It aims to develop a technical analysis as well as professional analytical skills. An additional benefit of the program is that it provides a code of ethics and gives analysts an ethical framework to work within.
Designed as a self-study program, the ATA provides a reading material related to the entire course by book and various study aids. Using textbooks, sample exams, most students are able to grasp the material and progress through the exams.
While there are countless technical analysis training programs available, only the CeTA is designed to provide broad exposure to the classic literature in the field while emphasizing state-of-the-art analytical techniques. Almost every aspect of technical analysis is addressed in the curriculum - chart pattern identification and measurements, common and obscure indicators, Elliott wave theory, Gann angles, point-and-figure charting, candlestick charts and other tools. (For more insight, see Exploring Oscillators and Indicators.)
Why Should You Consider This Program?
If you're looking to work in a traditional finance job, the TA certification demonstrates accomplishment to potential employers.
TA certification isn't just for those who want to work as analysts. Potential traders, gain exposure to a wide variety of technical tools, allowing them to learn what fits their trading style and temperament. Even registered representatives can benefit from the CeTA program, because their clients are likely to want technical opinions on stocks and the overall market.
What the Program Requires
To be granted the designation, a candidate must pass two examination levels, complete the membership application process, and agree to the ATA, India’s code of ethics. To register for the any TA® Program, individuals must the first join the ATA, India as an active-member and then enroll in the TA® Program. After enrolling in the Program, candidates can then pay and register for their exam. Successful preparation for each exam requires candidates to carefully study the booked issued by the ATA, India.
How Long Does It Take?
The TA® Program includes two exams. The first is the two hours multiple-choice format and the final exam is a grueling three-hour essay exam. Each exam is offered round of the year, meaning applicants can complete the program in as little as three months. However, most take three months to get through the process. The ATA, India recommends allowing at least 40 hours of study time for both level, and many applicants spend considerably more time on the readings and preparation.
Benefits and Job Prospects
While the first CeTA certifications were granted ATA, India in 2008, the program has dramatically increased in popularity.
According to the ATA, India, the CeTA consists of more than 200 market professionals.
ATA, India is proud to present all time famous CETA Certificate course in Technical Analysis. This course goes beyond covering the concepts of technical tools and seeks to include even elements such as Context analysis, Trade selection, Risk address, Software usage etc., that are equally important along with analysis of the markets. The course will consist of over 40 hours of training instructions delivered thru convenient week end class (Saturday and Sunday) and will cover all the major topics in technical analysis such as:
Who should attend this course?
· Anyone who is interested in the subject of technical analysis and wants to learn it in detail.
· Students of Finance, seeking a career in market research- for Equity, Commodity and Currency segments.
· Sub-brokers and Franchisees who wish to add value to their clients thru technical research.
· Employees of Brokers, Mutual Funds who want to elevate the levels of service and value additions to their clients.
· Active investors and Traders who wish to improve their performances in the markets and achieve greater returns in their investing and trading portfolios.
· HNIs who should look for maximizing profit potential thru intelligent shifting of asset classes on proactive basis using market timing
· Options traders who need confirmation through Technical Analysis of their view on market trend and turn dates.
How will I benefit by attending this course?
· Upon completion of the course, you will have a good understanding of the technical analysis process and will know why it is an important element in financial planning and execution.
· You will get an ability to interact with the market for Any Time Frame of your choice- whether it would be intraday or end of the day or multiple days and weeks or even multi month positions.
· You will be able to improve your results of Long Term Investing using technical analysis in addition to the fundamental analysis used for stock selection.
· You will be able to engage in a series of short to medium term investing during the momentum phases of the market trends.
· You will be able to participate profitably in Declining markets and not be confined to just bull market phases.
· You will be able to construct active investment portfolios that help you get much better returns from the markets.
· You will be able to get jobs as Technical analysts in reputed firms.
· You can work as a Freelance consultant for your own set of clients to earn handsome income.
· You can be an Expert in Multiple Asset classes such as Equities, Futures, Commodities, and Currencies as the format of technical analysis is almost the same across different markets.
· You will be able to Analyse and Forecast any financial market in the world! This can open up opportunities across the globe for you!
· As you can see, the benefits are enormous and numerous! The best part is that you can be completely independent after learning this form of market analysis and lead your own business, working from the comforts of your home too!
The technical analysis (TA®) program training designed by professionals, for professionals. The program provides the tools investors need to become a technical analyst. Some of the best minds in the industry have completed this certification, demonstrating its value and increasing its recognition. For those serious about technical analysis, this is a program worth considering because it will not only enhance your knowledge - it should also help you make money.